Degree College > Credit and Grading System
Concept of Credit and Grading System:
- The curriculum is divided into Units that can be combined to get a Degree/Diploma.
- A “CREDIT” is a VALUE used to measure a students’ workload in terms of learning time required to complete a Course Unit, resulting in learning outcomes.
- Credit, in Higher Education collectively describes an amount of learning.
- The Number of Credits awarded to a student is determined by Credit Value or Credit Points
- It provides more flexibility to the Students to chose inter-disciplinary courses.
- One Credit is the Thirty learning hours.
- Credit once gained cannot be lost.
Philosophy of Credit Assignment:
- Normally there are four different courses in all the programmes offered by University of Mumbai.
|1.||Compulsory Courses:||4 Credits per course|
|2.||Core / Special Courses:||3 Credits per course|
|3.||Applied Component:||3 Credits per course|
|4.||Foundation Courses:||2 Credits per course|
|5.||Skill Courses:||2 Credits per course|
- The Total credit value shall be 120 credits for all the Under-Graduate courses in all the faculties.
- The Total credit value shall be 80 credits for M.A and M. Com whereas 96 credits in case of M. Sc.
Allocation of Time Per Credit:
- 50% of the time will be spent on Class-Room instructions including practical as prescribed by University.
- Rest of 50% time is allocated for assignments, projects, journal writing, case studies, library work, industrial visits, participating in seminars/ workshops, preparation for examination, etc.
Scheme of Evaluation:
The Performance of the students will be evaluated in TWO PARTS.
- Internal Assessment / Continuous Evaluation : 25% marks
- Semester End Assessment : 75% marks
- Internal Assessment or Continuous Evaluation of the students is based on their participation in various academic and correlated activities during the semester.
- Semester End Assessment is on the basis of their performance in the semester end Theory Examination(Written Examination)
- Internal Assessment: 25% 25 marks
- One Class –Test/ Case Study / on-line or a combination of these: 20 marks
- Active Participation in Class Instructional Activities:
- Overall conduct as a responsible student, mannerism, leadership qualities in organizing academic activities: 05 marks
- Semester End Assessment: 75% 75 marks
- Duration of Examination: 2 hours
Standard of Passing:
- Student has to score a minimum of 40% marks in aggregate to qualify each course where the course consists of Internal and Semester End Assessment. Student has to obtain 10 marks
( 40% 0f 25 marks) in the Internal Assessment and 30 marks (40% of 75 marks) in Semester End Assessment.
- To qualify each course and Project (if applicable)minimum Grade E is necessary.
- If a student passes in the Internal Assessment but fails in Semester End Assessment, he/she has to reappear for the Semester End Assessment. His/Her marks of Internal Assessment will be carried over and he/she will be entitled for Grade on passing the complete course.
- A student failing in Internal Assessment but passing in Semester End Assessment, he/she has to reappear for Internal Assessment in the form of Projects for that course. His/Her marks of Semester End Assessment will be carried over and he/she will be entitled for Grade on passing the complete course.
- Re-evaluation for Internal Assessment-one project of 40 marks, 20 marks for the documentation 10 marks for presentation and 10 marks for viva.